This dish is so delicious. The tender, lightly spiced chicken thighs and the subtle flavor of the figs make this a regular meal for our family.
Dry-Spiced Chicken and Figs
Adapted from The Feed Zone Cookbook by Biju Thomas & Allen Lim
1/2 cup rice or wheat flour
Dry Spice Rub (see below)
2 pounds chicken thighs, cut into large bite-size pieces
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1/3 – 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 red onion, chopped
4 carrots, chopped or food processed
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 dried figs, cut into quarters
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons salt
DRY SPICE RUB
1/2 teaspoon each: cinnamon, cumin, nutmeg, coriander
- In a bowl, place flour and spice rub. Add chicken and stir contents to coat all surfaces.
- Pour enough oil into a large, heavy pot to coat the bottom. Turn heat to high.
- Sear the chicken pieces in the hot oil, turning so that both sides are golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside. The chicken is not cooked yet!
- Pour 2 cups stock and vinegar into the pot and cook off bits of flour from the bottom. Return the chicken to the pot, then add onions, carrots, garlic, figs, cilantro and salt.
- Cover and let simmer on stove top over medium heat until chicken is tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Serve on top of rice or pasta.